Commercial Pool Contractor
Below is the information you will need concerning your Commercial Pool Contractor Exam
Commercial Pool/Spa Contractor" means a contractor whose scope of work involves, but is not limited to, the construction, repair, and servicing of any swimming pool, or hot tub or spa, whether public, private, or otherwise, regardless of use. The scope of work includes the installation, repair, or replacement of existing equipment, any cleaning or equipment sanitizing that requires at least a partial disassembling, excluding filter changes, and the installation of new pool/spa equipment, interior finishes, the installation of package pool heaters, the installation of all perimeter piping and filter piping, and the construction of equipment rooms or housing for pool/spa equipment, and also includes the scope of work of a swimming pool/spa servicing contractor. The scope of such work does not include direct connections to a sanitary sewer system or to potable water lines. The installation, construction, modification, or replacement of equipment permanently attached to and associated with the pool or spa for the purpose of water treatment or cleaning of the pool or spa requires licensure; however, the usage of such equipment for the purposes of water treatment or cleaning does not require licensure unless the usage involves construction, modification, or replacement of such equipment. Water treatment that does not require such equipment does not require a license. In addition, a license is not required for the cleaning of the pool or spa in a way that does not affect the structural integrity of the pool or spa or its associated equipment.
All Florida Commercial Contractor candidates are required to pass the Business and Finance Examination and the Commercial Pool Contractor Trade Examination administered by Pearson Vue.
The Commercial Pool Trade Knowledge Examination is composed of 80 questions, plus 5 pilot questions. You will have 5 hours to complete the exam and must score at least 70% in order to pass. It will be administered in one session via computer in the calm atmosphere of one of Pearson Vue’s convenient testing centers at a time of your choosing.
The examination will have questions relating to the following content areas and necessary knowledge for each area includes:
You should be prepared to respond to examination questions on any of the content areas listed in the below link:
To speak to a Pearson Vue customer service representative about an exam reservation, please call 888-204-6230.
The answers to the examination questions will be based on the editions listed below. Some of the questions will also be based on field experience and knowledge of trade practices. Editions earlier or later than those listed below can be brought to the examination but AT YOUR OWN RISK. However, ONLY ONE COPY of each reference will be allowed into the examination.
- NFPA 70: National Electrical Code, 2014
- Placing Reinforcing Bars, 10th Edition
- ANSI 1 American National Standard for Public Swimming Pools, 2014
- ANSI 2 American National Standard for Public Spas, 1999
- ANSI 3 American National Standard of Permanently Installed Residential Spas, 2014
- ANSI 5 American National Standard for Residential Inground Swimming Pools, 2011
- ANSI/NSF 50 Equipment for Swimming Pools, Spas, Hot Tubs, and Other Recreational Water Facilities, 2017
- Walker's Building Estimator's Reference Book, 31st Edition
- Chapter 64E-9 Public Swimming Pools and Bathing Places
- Concrete Masonry Handbook for Architects, Engineers,and Builders, 6th Ed.
- Guide to Shotcrete ACI 506R-16, 2016
- NSPF Certified Pool and Spa Operator Handbook 2017
- 2017 Florida Building Code - Building
- OSHA 29 CFR 1926 Construction Industry Regulations
Photocopies will not be allowed unless the appropriate authorities (DBPR and the publishers) have given written authorization. Hand-written and typewritten notes are NOT allowed. Existing handwritten notes must be blackened out or whitened out completely, by the candidate, prohibiting legibility. Moveable tabs (e.g., Post-it® Flags) are NOT allowed. You will not be permitted to make any marks in your references during the examination.