1. Construction - Four years.
  2. Electrical – Two years

A "certified contractor" is a statewide contractor licensed at the state level. Certified license numbers begin with the letter "C".

A "registered contractor" is a contractor who has a county license (or multiple) who then had to register that license with the state because it was a major trade. Registered contractors can only work in the county in which they have a competency card. Registered contractors are designated by an occupation code which begins with the letter "R".

The Construction Industry Licensing Board does not have a reciprocal agreement with any other state, but applicable out-of-state work history will work toward your experience requirements.

The Electrical Contractors’ Licensing Board will allow reciprocation for the Unlimited License with North Carolina, California, and Georgia. *restrictions apply

Experience is valid no matter where it was done as long as it was done legally in that area at that time and projects meet the minimum requirements.

For Construction Licenses, no one needs to sign. The Board requests project details now that meet certain requirements.

For Electrical Licenses if you worked under a Florida License holder who is willing to sign, your application will not require project details for that time frame. If the individual won’t or can’t sign, then notarized letters and project details are able to be submitted in its place.

There are a number of variables that can come into this. It depends on the severity, number of incidences and how recent these incidences are. Call us to learn more.

No, we don't have direct access to your background records as they are only made available to the Construction Industry Licensing Board; however, there are sources for obtaining your background history. If the incident in question was in Florida, you can purchase a report from FDLE (approx. $25), or if it’s outside Florida, you can obtain a full FBI background report (approx. $50).

Construction licenses do not require a minimum net worth. Instead, the requirement is based on your credit. Applicants with a FICO or BEACON score lower than 660 will require a financial stability bond. In addition, an applicant must be free of unresolved liens/bankruptcies/judgments to be eligible for licensure.

Electrical licenses do require minimums:
The applicant must have a positive net worth, regardless of which license they apply. EC, EG, and EF licenses require a $10,000 net worth of the business entity if there is one. All Specialty Electric Licenses require $5,000 net worth of the business.

The Electrical Contractors’ Licensing Board does not allow the license holder to alleviate financial responsibility unless they are a secondary qualifier.

The Construction Industry Licensing Board will allow for a license holder to alleviate their financial responsibility by designating a third party, but this does not alleviate the financial stability requirement of a public record search and bond if they do not meet a minimum score.

General Liability should be in place for the license to be issued.

Since Worker’s Compensation Exemptions are filed after the license is issued, the state gives you up to 30 days after the issuance to have Worker’s Comp in place.


Certified Contractors need to complete 14 hours board-approved continuing education every 2 years by August 31stof an even-numbered year.

Registered Contractors renew in odd-numbered years by August 31st.

If a new report that meets the state’s requirement of 660 or higher is available, you can submit that to the state and the bond will not need to be renewed.

No, the only time this information is provided to the board is in the course of submitting an application.

No, you must license the Fictitious Name separately from the owner.

No, you would have to apply to qualify the joint venture just like you would any other business

Yes, but the joint venture must obtain approval of the Construction Industry Licensing Board’s Executive Director prior to submitting the bid on a construction project. The joint venture must provide the Executive Director a copy of the written joint venture agreement and a statement of authority signed by an officer of each company giving the proposed qualifying agent full authority to conduct the contracting business of the joint venture.